- 2012 Geneseo Airshow - Our museum, the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group, put on a wonderful airshow this year on July 13/14/15. Despite a few last-minute cancellations, attendees still had fun enjoying the "Greatest Show on Turf" for it's spirit and soul. This year was unique for the "Lucy Gal" project because it was the 1st year that I actually had my own tent and display during our show. This year, I sold t-shirts and decals as well as collected donations! In addition to selling and collecting, I was also able to claim the can/bottle returns from our show this year. As some of you know, I hold monthly can/bottle drives (ala WWII) and use the money earned toward "Lucy Gal's" construction. In summary, the project did very well this year at the show, earning around $1,000 USD between t-shirt/decal sales, donations, and recyclable redemptions! Thank you to all who contributed!
|Yours Truly doing some fundraising at Geneseo 2012!|
- Grant Writing - This past summer, in my free time, I made it my goal to write as many corporate grant applications as possible. I did just that, submitting to companies such as Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, Northrup-Grumman, For Motors, Verizon, Wal-Mart, etc. I have heard back from a handful of corps thus far, none of which are able to contribute at this time. I will continue to pursue grants though! After all, it only takes one big chunk of change from one place to get "Lucy Gal" in the air. For every 100 that say "no," there's bound to be one the says "yes."
- Gennarino Fund - Last Sunday (Sept. 9th), the Pennington "Lucy Gal" project teamed-up with the Bernie Gennarino Memorial Fund to raise money toward F/O Pennington and "Lucy Gal's" recovery. The Gennarino fund is ran by 1941 HAG volunteer Jim Gennarino, and it was started as a means to raise money for a proper military burial for his father, Bernie. Jim was successful in his endeavor, and this year we teamed up to make the focus on Leland Pennington. This trend should continue for many years to come! The benefit itself was a success, raising $200 a piece for the "Lucy Gal" project and Missing Veteran recoveries.
- 2013 Rochester WINGS Aero Convention - Last year, yours truly volunteered with the Rochester WINGS convention to coordinate social media/apps. WINGS is a free aviation convention, open to the public, for anyone interest in flying or already flies. Since the conclusion of the 2012 show last June, there has been an interest by the group to make the 2013 theme all about the "Lucy Gal" project and the P-51! Meetings for WINGS 2013 will commence shortly, so stay tuned for details as the unfold.
- Cyrillia Pennington - Another one of my latest undertakings in the "Lucy Gal" project has been to build a relationship with Leland Pennington's daughter Cyrillia. Cyrillia was born while Leland was off at war. She grew up with her mother, Lucy (hence "Lucy Gal") in New Orleans. She still lives there today. My mother, Mary Anne, is very much into genealogy research and interviewing, so she volunteered to be my Cyrillia liaison. So far, they have had 2-3 wonderful phone conversations. Once my mother finishes compiling the results of these interviews, I will share them on here with you!
- "Lucy Gal" Items - Have you bought your "Lucy Gal" t-shirt or decal yet? If not, what are you waiting for? :-) All you need to show off your support for our project can be found right here>>>http://fighterfund.blogspot.com/p/store.html. If you wish, you can also send cash or check using the address found under "Contact Us." Thank You!